TK Announcement for 2023-2024
Beginning this fall, the Union Community School District administration is excited to announce the expansion of transitional kindergarten to full-day. Students will attend class according to the La Porte City Elementary daily schedule, and the program will follow the Union Community School District 2023-2024 academic calendar. The students, like in the past, will be offered a quality curriculum, aligned to early childhood education standards, and taught by a licensed teacher. The students will also have all the other options afforded the other elementary students in the district including: Art, ChangeMakers, Guidance, Library, Music and Physical Education. By extending to a full-day, these students will have more instructional time, be able to participate in additional center-based learning and possibly improve their social skills, which will increase their probability of success.
Per Superintendent John Howard, “Our half day transitional kindergarten has been successful for many years, and we are cognizant and proud of this fact. We believe that by adding more classroom, educational hours for our transitional kindergarten students they will be more prepared for the subsequent grade levels. Further, I believe this expansion meets a greater community need as well. I want to thank the Union Board of Education for supporting this change, and we are looking forward to working with students and parents to continue our outstanding results.”
TRANSITIONAL KINDERGARTEN ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- 5 YEARS OLD BY SEPTEMBER 15, 2023
- RESIDENT OF THE UNION COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT OR OPEN-ENROLLED FROM ANOTHER DISTRICT
- RECOMMENDATION FROM THE PARENT(S)/PRESCHOOL TEACHER (COMMUNICATED IN MAY, IF NOT BEFORE THAT TIME)
IMPORTANT PARENT INFORMATION
- ON-LINE REGISTRATION WILL BE THE SAME AS THE K-5 SCHOOL-AGED STUDENTS IN AUGUST.
- OPEN HOUSE WILL BE PLANNED FOR STUDENTS AT LA PORTE CITY ELEMENTARY PRIOR TO THE START OF THE YEAR
- THE STUDENTS’ FIRST DAY WILL BE THE SAME AS THE K-5 SCHOOL-AGED STUDENTS.
- CONTACT TODD PARKER, LA PORTE CITY ELEMENTARY PRINCIPAL, BY PHONE AT 319-342-3033 OR BY E-MAIL AT email@example.com FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.
Again, the district is thrilled to offer a full-day transitional kindergarten this coming fall. Space will be limited so start planning now for your family to take advantage of this tremendous opportunity. Go Knights!