Gold Star Teacher graphic

Two of Union Community School District’s teachers recently earned the Gold Star Award for Outstanding Teaching. Korina Carlson, Spanish teacher at the high school, and Lynne Ternus, third grade teacher at DG Elementary, were two of the 10 teachers who received the award this year.

Carlson said she appreciates the honor, and that the support of her students, colleagues, and administration have made all the difference.

“I am honored that a student (or students) chose to nominate me,” said Carlson. “I truly enjoy working with our students. I am fortunate that I have the opportunity to teach and work with students multiple years in the classroom and on stage and am able to see how they become amazing young adults.  This allows me to adapt to the things that will help the students learn.  I have always had great support from my colleagues and administration in my many roles, and I am a better teacher because of this.”

Ternus said this award affirms her commitment to providing a positive learning environment, and that working with her students and their parents, and staff at UCSD, has been rewarding.

“I feel so honored and humbled to be chosen as a Gold Star Teacher,” said Ternus. “One of my biggest goals is to make sure my students are excited to come to school every day and love learning.  Receiving this award is a reminder that I have accomplished my goal. It has been great to work with amazing students, parents and staff at Union Community School.”

Developed in 1989 by the R.J. McElroy Trust and KWWL-TV, the Gold Star Award for Outstanding Teaching recognizes teachers who go above and beyond for their students. So far, the program has honored over 300 teachers in Black Hawk County.

Each year, 10 teachers are selected from hundreds of nominations submitted by students, parents, and teachers themselves. Each Gold Star Award recipient receives $1,000 in cash and a $500 classroom grant to be used for their work space.